Saturday, September 25, 2010

Florida East Coast Noshing Part Two

The cupcake has landed. I repeat the cupcake has landed. Agent S and I have arrived in Daytona, with 4 scrumptious cupcakes we would like to share with you all. These cupcakes happen to come from Debi Adkins, owner of Classy Cupcakes. Classy is located in Vero Beach, 712 21st Street, 32960.

Agent S and I had planned to stop at 4 different bakeries on our way to Daytona. The first bakery we stopped at, was titled Piece of Cake, and was supposed to have individual cake slices. However when we got to that location they had apparently moved. The internet tells lies!  So after giving them a ring, we headed North for another 20 minutes, only to realize with much disappointment they were the chain store A Piece of Cake that we had gone to Friday in Wellington. Even with seeing some new flavors on top of the ones we already tasted, we left there with broken hearts already knowing what to expect.

The second location we went to was Southern Sweets Custom Cakes & Bakery, which either closed down or has since relocated. When we pulled up to the address, it had become a laundry mat, and the telephone number was no longer in service.

The growing trend here is that while we mapped everything out, we didn’t think to call ahead to make sure they were still open. I guess it’s a sign of the times. So with a heavy heart, we drove North, looking for a cupcake to cheer us up.

That leaves us our 3rd location on the way to Daytona, Classy Cupcakes located in Vero Beach. This is another small little store front, which screams elegance. Instead of having trays upon trays of cupcakes, Classy had three decorative cupcake tree stands placed inside a clear case. There was one or two of each flavor for that day, and when that cupcake decided he wanted to become one with my belly, the funny gentlemen behind the counter took a new one from underneath to replace it on the pedestal.  I say funny gentlemen, because of the shirt he was wearing which said “Real Men Eat Cupcakes.” Or I think that’s what it said. I was too busy dreaming about how this lemon curd cupcake with meringue would taste. For you see I’ve been playing around (in my head) with the idea of a Keyline Pie cuppie with baked meringue, and this would be my first cuppie to experience with said meringue.  This bakery had a real professional atmosphere, whether they realized it or not. For starters they didn’t ask you how many cupcakes you would like. You simply picked out the ones you wanted, and the counter clerk would put them on a tray, and only then would they be boxed up in simple but elegant packaging. That’s pro right there I tell you! Another thing that really impressed me, and I’m not sure they thought this through or not, (and if you guys did I really want to intern with you before opening up my own place), was instead of putting a sticker on the lip of the box, which would ultimately become destroyed in the process of opening it, they placed a business card in the inside of the box in such a way that you saw “Classy Cupcakes by Debi” right when you looked inside the clear window box. You guys rocked my creative-o-meter! So onward we went, with a Lemon Curd Meringue, Key Lime, Chocolate Vanilla Twist, and a Coconut cupcake. Believe me, these cupcakes are worth the trip out to Vero Beach. And they are well worth the blogging about, which will commence when we return to our lair. Now, I’d tell you to stop reading this right now and go over there, but sadly they are closed on Sundays. However, may I suggest calling out sick on Monday as they open at 10am to 6pm Monday through Friday.  Oh and should I forget to mention this later, they are only $2.50 each, and come with the right proportion of frosting to cupcake for their flavor.

The end, that’s it. The 4th location wasn’t even worth blogging about. They close at 3pm on a Saturday, and we called there at 2:55pm. We’ll get you later, and your little cuppies toooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment