Monday, September 27, 2010

Annie's Vintage Gourmet

Annie's Vintage Gourmet
1132 W Indiantown Rd, Jupiter, FL 33458
September 24, 2010


Experience
Annie's Vintage Gourmet was opened September 22, and we decided to go have lunch there on the 24th. Bad move. Had I finished the Roast Beef wrap that I got there, I probably would have become sick from food poisoning. Never having experienced horse radish sauce, I grabbed a Roast Beef wrap that featured it. Mainly because it was the cheapest thing there, and how hard is it to mess up roast beef? There was no color to the meat, it looked like a gray overly cooked pork. When I bit into it, it had an unpleasant taste, and left a metallic taste in my mouth. I later found out that after taste is what happens when horse raddish isn't kept properly. I took a couple of bites, and put the rest aside. For that price I could go to Publix and get a Boars Head roast beef wrap where everything is fresh. While it was a beautiful design, the place of business that is, it wasn't in the best location and has it's back to the road. It features a huge case of ready made foods, from main dishes, to sides, to deserts, and a wall of other premade foods such as salads, sandwiches, and desserts. Ready made foods ranged from $8.99 a pound to $12.99 (or higher I didn't check). While some of their sides looked good, I don't think they are made fresh daily. The lasagna servings they had were hard and dry because the pasta was exposed, and unless covered in some kind of sauce, that was the theme for the rest of the case. There was a deli on the other side, but they were having a humidity problem so you couldn't see what was there really. There was also a pizza station but like everything else it was way over priced. A small was only a 10" and cost you $10.50 at a minimum. What was nice was that they had all their pizzas available on whole wheat dough as well. A single cannoli the size of your thumb was shoved into a single pie slice container already filled for $1.99. The best places I find (and I've seen them up north) the cannoli shells are prepped and ready in the case, and are filled to order. Parfaits were simple and tiny, and cost you $3.95. The cupcakes where sloppy and thrown 6 in a box. By the time you got them home they would look like a shake and bake mess. The terms 'Vintage' and 'Gourmet' are really used as umbrella terms, specially here. What is gourmet about Annie's? Until they sadly sold the place, I'd go down to the Office Bar on Dixie and get a 'Gourmet' brick oven pizza made how ever I wanted it for a great price. *sigh* How I miss the Office Bar. And aside from their outfits, what was vintage about Annies? Where's the soda jerkers, ice cream shop, music? Hope you can make it Annies, but there have been other prepared food shops who have come and gone before you. So you better have something different to offer, starting with improving your quality of food if that's what I got only after 2 days of being open.

No comments:

Post a Comment